[petsc-dev] https://www.dursi.ca/post/hpc-is-dying-and-mpi-is-killing-it.html

Gropp, William D wgropp at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 19 18:11:22 CDT 2019

There is a sort of citation for the increasing use of MPI in distributed ML/DL - Torsten has a recent paper on demystifying ML with a graph based on published papers. Not the same, but interesting.

On the health of HPC, sales figures are available (along with attendance at SC) and these show HPC is healthy if not growing at unsustainable rates :)

Bill

On Mar 19, 2019 3:45 PM, "Smith, Barry F. via petsc-dev" <petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 12:27 AM, Mills, Richard Tran via petsc-dev <petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> I've seen this quite some time ago. Others in this thread have already articulated many of the same criticisms I have with the material in this blog post, as well as some of the problems that I have with MPI, so I'll content myself by asking the following:
>
> If HPC is as dying as this guy says it is, then
>
> * Why did DOE just announce today that they are spending $500 million on the first (there are *more* coming?) US-based exascale computing system?

   Why was the acronym AI used more often than HPC during the presentation?

> * Why are companies like Intel, NVIDIA, Mellanox, etc., managing to sell so much HPC hardware?

   Citation

> and if it is all the fault of MPI, then
>
> * Why have a bunch of the big machine-learning shops actually been moving towards more use of MPI?

   Citation