[petsc-dev] https://www.dursi.ca/post/hpc-is-dying-and-mpi-is-killing-it.html

Zhang, Junchao jczhang at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 18 11:14:57 CDT 2019

Let's see how the author thought about PETSc. The author likes Chapel -- a PGAS language. In https://www.dursi.ca/post/julia-vs-chapel.html he said his concerns about Chapel
     "the beginnings of a Chapel-native set of solvers from Scalapack or PETSc (both of which are notoriously hard to get started with, and in PETSc’s case, even install)"

His slides have more,
"
PETSc is a widely used library for large sparse iterative solves.
        Excellent and comprehensive library of solvers
        It is the basis of a significant number of home-made simulation codes
        It is notoriously hard to start getting running with; nontrivial even for experts to install.
  Significant fraction of PETSc functionality is tied up in large CSR matrices of reasonable structure partitioned by row, vectors, and solvers built on top.
  What would a Chapel API to PETSc look like?
  What would a Chapel implementation of some core PETSc solvers look like?
"
In my view, the good and the evil of MPI grow from one root:  MPI has a local name space. MPI does not try to define a global data structure. The evil is users have to do their global naming, which can be very easy (e.g., in stencil) or very hard (e.g., refine an unstructured mesh). The good is user has the freedom to design their own data structure (array, CSR, tree, hash table, mesh, ...).
PGAS languages tried to provide a set of global data structures, but which is very limited and did not meet requirements of many HPC codes. MPI challengers should start with AMR, but not VecAXPY.

--Junchao Zhang