[petsc-dev] https://www.dursi.ca/post/hpc-is-dying-and-mpi-is-killing-it.html

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Mar 17 16:34:52 CDT 2019

"Smith, Barry F. via petsc-dev" <petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

>   I stubbled on this today; I should have seen it years ago.

https://lists.mpich.org/pipermail/devel/2015-April/000536.html

https://twitter.com/KpDooty/status/585763759777574912

Proposing, as replacements for MPI, systems with no successful libraries
is a strange hill to die on.  I'd like a system with more flexible
process management and better support/conventions for interactive
environments (where interrupts and programming bugs are common).  That
would help reduce impedance mismatch between MPI and the likes of Spark
and Dask.  Any discussion of such tools should include an explanation of
why MPI has been/is used by machine learning groups including Watson,
Baidu, Bing, and OpenAI.