[petsc-dev] MATCOMPOSITE as fallback for matrix-matrix multiplication

Hapla Vaclav vaclav.hapla at erdw.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 12 04:54:49 CDT 2019

On 11 Mar 2019, at 23:59, Jed Brown via petsc-dev <petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:

One could imagine PETSc written so that all Mat operations like
transpose and products return lazy representations, with a method that
makes it explicit.  Would eliminate all the Transpose variants in the
matrix products, for example, and enable an implementation to choose
order of operations for chained products.

That would be cool!

This would solve e.g. my concerns related to transpose in MatLoad_HDF5 with PETSC_VIEWER_HDF5_MAT and MATLAB engine interface, see
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/pull-requests/1381/matload_hdf5-w-petsc_viewer_hdf5_mat

I was thinking about introducing a special MatOption that would say the (non-preallocated) matrix can be replaced by an implicit one. This wouldn't change the API. But what you suggest sounds much more elegant.

Thanks,
Vaclav