[petsc-dev] User(s) manual sections field in manual pages?

Scott Kruger kruger at txcorp.com
Wed Jun 12 11:58:29 CDT 2019

>> So many projects use it (including the linux kernel, moving away from
>> bookdown, says wikipedia)
>
> They switched from Docbook to rst.
>
>    https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/

Is that the default C autodoc extension, or hawkmoth?

https://hawkmoth.readthedocs.io/en/latest/extension.html

> Sphinx supports a search dialog, but it would be a lot nicer if it would
> autocomplete.

https://pypi.org/project/sphinxcontrib-lunrsearch/

Haven't tried it in any of my projects though.

Scott

P.S.  The default search barely adequate.
There are extensions for elasticsearch and
then another one called whoosh, but I haven't tried those
either (there used to be a plugin for sphinxsearch, but
trying to google the sphinx search plugin for sphinx the
documentation package seems impossible).

P.S.S.  I like rst and sphinx if you can't tell, but it
does take some work to have it integrate to a particular
workflow, and sometimes extensions beyond the builtins
are needed to get it to do what you want.

See these:
https://github.com/yoloseem/awesome-sphinxdoc
https://sphinxext-survey.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

For vim users, riv.vim is very nice.

Tech-X Corporation               kruger at txcorp.com
5621 Arapahoe Ave, Suite A       Phone: (720) 974-1841
Boulder, CO 80303                Fax:   (303) 448-7756