[petsc-dev] User(s) manual sections field in manual pages?

Patrick Sanan patrick.sanan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 08:49:08 CDT 2019

It'd be huge if pandoc can do the heavy lifting of converting the manual to
a human-readable-yet-html-renderable format. As a stopgap, particularly
ornery sections of latex could perhaps be compiled as standalone pdfs and
included.

.rst seems like a reasonably safe choice. So many projects use it
(including the linux kernel, moving away from bookdown, says wikipedia)
that it seems unlikely to go away any time soon. What firedrake has looks
pretty gorgeous.

An advantage of a parser for the sowing man pages is that it could also be
used to check/enforce rules, like checking the symmetry of the .seealso
graph (Note again this man-page walking script that Scott already wrote:
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/53db19705a7bf2d1838cb64c11c1e5ab5997e81d
)