[petsc-dev] error in Jenkins but not nightly

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 10 16:39:01 CDT 2019

> On Jun 10, 2019, at 4:31 PM, Balay, Satish <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> Well its a complex automation problem..
>
> For one - all dependencies would have to be rebuilt - and then manage
> the new/old locations of the packages.  i.e its running 2 or more
> builds in 1. [with a different prefix in each build]

  Of course each examples/arch- has its own prefix and yes to make it simpler if any prebuilt needs updating just wipe the current prefix directory and rebuild all. The rebuilds would be super infrequent so the total rebuild is a trivial cost.

   I would stash the prefix prebuilt(s) inside the PETSc directory so they are trivial to locate (don't need additional directory information) but I suspect you don't like that. Note I would stash the spack version also inside the PETSc directory for the same reason.

   Note that we can support doing the prebuilts both with the spack approach and without to satisfy the spack haters and may the approach with the least failures win.

  Barry