[petsc-dev] MatPinToCPU

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jul 27 12:00:21 CDT 2019

> On Jul 27, 2019, at 11:53 AM, Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 11:39 AM Smith, Barry F. <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>   Good catch. Thanks. Maybe the SeqCUDA has the same problem?
>
> THis is done  (I may have done it).
>
> Now it seems to me that when you call VecPinToCPU you are setting up and don't have data, so this copy does not seem necessary. Maybe remove the copy here:
>
> PetscErrorCode VecPinToCPU_MPICUDA(Vec V,PetscBool pin)
> {
>   PetscErrorCode ierr;
>
>   PetscFunctionBegin;
>   V->pinnedtocpu = pin;
>   if (pin) {
>     ierr = VecCUDACopyFromGPU(V);CHKERRQ(ierr); ????

   The copy from GPU should actually only do anything if the GPU already has data and PETSC_OFFLOAD_GPU. If the GPU does not have data
the copy doesn't do anything. When one calls VecPinToCPU() one doesn't know where the data is so the call must be made, but it may do nothing

  Note that VecCUDACopyFromGPU() calls VecCUDAAllocateCheckHost() not VecCUDAAllocateCheck() so the GPU will not allocate space,
VecCUDAAllocateCheck() is called from VecCUDACopyToGPU().

   Yes, perhaps the naming could be more consistent:

1) in one place it is Host in an other place it is nothing
2) some places it is Host, Device, some places GPU,CPU

   Perhaps Karl can make these all consistent and simpler in his refactorization

  Barry