[petsc-dev] [Radev, Martin] Re: Adding a new encoding for FP data

Zhang, Junchao jczhang at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 11 15:15:03 CDT 2019

A side question: Do lossy compressors have value for PETSc?

--Junchao Zhang

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 9:06 AM Jed Brown via petsc-dev <petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov>> wrote:
Zstd is a remarkably good compressor.  I've experimented with it for
compressing column indices for sparse matrices on structured grids and
(after a simple transform: subtracting the row number) gotten
decompression speed in the neighborhood of 10 GB/s (i.e., faster per
core than DRAM).  I've been meaning to follow up.  The transformation
described below (splitting the bytes) is yielding decompression speed
around 1GB/s (in this link below), which isn't competitive for things
like MatMult, but could be useful for things like trajectory
checkpointing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wfLQyO2G5nofYFkS7pVbUW0-oJkQqBvv/view