[petsc-dev] parallel partitioning of uninterpolated meshes not supported

Hapla Vaclav vaclav.hapla at erdw.ethz.ch
Thu Jan 31 08:33:31 CST 2019

Matt, your commit
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/ffbd61634109cd55a4e1889a4f100c5a1bdbfef1
says
Parallel partitioning of uninterpolated meshes not supported.

So should I now take it as a not-yet-implemented feature?

Does it really concern only this order of operations?
1) load sequentially
2) distribute
3) redistribute in parallel
4) interpolate in parallel

So the following three use cases
I)
1) load sequentially
2) interpolate sequentially
3) distribute
4) redistribute in parallel
II)
1) load sequntially
2) distribute
3) interpolate in parallel
4) redistribute in parallel
III)
1) load in parallel
2) interpolate in parallel
3) redistribute in parallel
can still be considered supported in general?

I mean not regarding the issues with the SF which still seem to affect parallel interpolation (https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/branch/knepley/fix-plex-interpolate-sf).
BTW I now rebased this branch onto master as <https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/branch/knepley/fix-plex-interpolate-sf-new> https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/branch/knepley/fix-plex-interpolate-sf-new and it now needs to take that not-yet-implemented feature into account - I will update it and remind to me what cases are still failing.

Thanks in advance for clarification!

Vaclav