[petsc-dev] setting viewer format from options

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Jan 16 08:28:04 CST 2019

Hapla Vaclav via petsc-dev <petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> So is it wise to do that as Matt wrote? It would basically make PetscViewerSetFromOptions() non-reentrant.

I think non-idempotent is the word you're looking for here.  Reentrancy
refers to being able to call the function from an interrupt handler and
similar circumstances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reentrancy_(computing)

I think PetscViewerSetFormat could be undeprecated (but marked as
developer level to steer people toward PetscViewerPushFormat) or
PetscViewerSetFromOptions could just set viewer->format directly.