[petsc-dev] Checkpoint-restart with DMPlex objects

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 06:28:18 CST 2019

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 at 12:34, Lawrence Mitchell <wence at gmx.li> wrote:

> Dear petsc-dev,
>
> I'm once again revisiting doing "proper" checkpoint-restart cycles.  I
> would like to leverage the existing PETSc stuff for this as much as
> possible, but I am a bit lost as to what is implemented, and what is
> missing.
>
> I have:
>
> - A (distributed) DMPlex defining the topology

Not sure if it will be really useful, but I have some code I can share with
you to save/load DMPlex objects using PETSc's native binary viewers (either
stdio or MPI-IO). A minor (or big?) issue is that loads are sequential, you
have to distribute/overlap afterwards, but this is the way it works with
most mesh readers.

I should be really putting that code in PETSc, but...

1) It is most likely not 100% general, I'm not supporting the new DMField
for coordinates.
2) Herr Prof. Matt seems to be in favor of all these fancy HDF5-based
formats (https://xkcd.com/927/)

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 0109
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459