[petsc-dev] Sequential external packages and MPI

Pierre Jolivet pierre.jolivet at enseeiht.fr
Thu Aug 22 00:31:13 CDT 2019

Hello,
PETSc is linking “sequential” libraries with MPI libraries.
$ otool -L libmetis.dylib
	/usr/local/opt/mpich/lib/libmpi.12.dylib (compatibility version 14.0.0, current version 14.7.0)
$ otool -L libfftw3.dylib
	/usr/local/opt/mpich/lib/libmpi.12.dylib (compatibility version 14.0.0, current version 14.7.0)
Is there anyway to avoid this, by using a “sequential” compiler and/or linker?
I’m asking because we use PETSc libraries to compile both parallel and sequential wrappers.
Our Metis wrapper is marked as a sequential one, but since you are linking libmetis with MPI, this is problematic for some configurations.

Thanks,
Pierre