[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint] running CUDA on SUMMIT

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 14 18:11:10 CDT 2019

> On Aug 14, 2019, at 5:58 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>
> "Smith, Barry F." <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

>>> When they say that single sucks, is it for the definition of the
>>> operator or the preconditioner?
>>>
>>> As point of reference, we can apply Q2 elasticity operators in double
>>> precision at nearly a billion dofs/second per GPU.
>>
>>  And in single you get what?
>
> I don't have exact numbers, but <2x faster on V100, and it sort of
> doesn't matter because preconditioning cost will dominate.

   When using block formats a much higher percentage of the bandwidth goes to moving the double precision matrix entries so switching to single could conceivably benefit    up to almost a factor of two.

    Depending on the matrix structure perhaps the column indices could be handled by a shift and short j indices. Or 2 shifts and 2 sets of j indices

> The big win
> of single is on consumer-grade GPUs, which DOE doesn't install and
> NVIDIA forbids to be used in data centers (because they're so
> cost-effective ;-)).

   DOE LCFs are not our only customers. Cheap-o engineering professors might stack a bunch of consumer grade in their lab, would they benefit? Satish's basement could hold a great deal of consumer grades.