[petsc-dev] SNESSolve and changing dimensions

Pierre Jolivet pierre.jolivet at enseeiht.fr
Wed Apr 3 09:12:14 CDT 2019

> On 3 Apr 2019, at 3:40 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 9:31 AM Pierre Jolivet <pierre.jolivet at enseeiht.fr <mailto:pierre.jolivet at enseeiht.fr>> wrote:
>> On 3 Apr 2019, at 3:15 PM, Stefano Zampini <stefano.zampini at gmail.com <mailto:stefano.zampini at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Pierre,
>>
>> using MatHeaderReplace should be discouraged in a SNES/TS callback ;-)
>
> Gotcha!
>
>> I coded this way to have the possibility of changing the MatType while running SNES or TS, not for variable sizes.
>>
>> A tricky way of achieving what you want is to code a proper hook function (see https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/SNES/SNESSetUpdate.html <https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/SNES/SNESSetUpdate.html>), which gets called right before each linear solve.
>> This is very tricky (and implementation dependent) because you also need to update/interpolate all the relevant vectors SNES may use later for line search
>>
>> The proper solution would be to extend DMAdaptor to the case of user-defined refinements and stopping criterion callbacks. Matt?
>
> Following Matt’s message, I’ve permuted the two “loops" (SNESSolve and mesh adaptation), but if there is some way to do the adaptation in the inner loop coming along, I’ll give it a go.
>
> For now, this is the best.
>
> Can you tell me a little about what you are adapting, and why adapting after only a linearized solve would be preferable
> to adapting after the nonlinear solve?

I am just adapting the mesh depending on the solution from the previous SNESSolve.
At first, I wanted to avoid writing an outer loop around the SNESSolve, so I thought, let’s put the adaptation in the SNESSetJacobian.
It would have been preferable because it would have required fewer lines of code (as I had imagined this to work), that’s the main reason. I understand this is too much to ask of PETSc to continue working without any further information from the application.

Thanks,
Pierre