[petsc-dev] SNESSolve and changing dimensions

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 06:51:29 CDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 5:43 AM Pierre Jolivet via petsc-dev <
petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I’d like to do mesh adaptation in a Newton loop.
> I’m using a SNES with SNESSetFunction and SNESSetJacobian.
> My first question is: may the dimension of the linear systems change
> throughout the nonlinear iterations?

No. Everything we do is algebraic right now. You would have to reformulate
Newton in
some Banach space, and make sure all the measures you were using were
discretization
independent. Then you could allow the underlying linear algebra to change,
but you would
need operations for projecting the the new space, making BC in the new
space, etc. There
is a lot of machinery in the continuous space that PETSc does not have.

It sounds like it should be setup as an FAS.