[petsc-dev] git repo branches housekeeping

Balay, Satish balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 1 10:58:50 CDT 2019

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019, Jed Brown via petsc-dev wrote:

> "Smith, Barry F. via petsc-dev" <petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>
> >    This is, IMHO, a weakness of git. It is crazy to impose this type of housekeeping directly on all 1000 users of a repository.
>
> Perhaps this should be the default:
>
>   git config --global fetch.prune true

or use 'git fetch -p' [ mentioned in my instructions]. I prefer
'fetch' to 'pull' anyway [as it keeps my git prompt sane] - so this
works out well for me.

> But, it would make it harder to recover if someone accidentally deletes
> a branch on the server.
>
>   https://stackoverflow.com/a/40842589/33208

This updates the origin/* references to remote branches - but does not
delete locally checked out branches [if any] - they have to be
manually deleted [as mentioned in my instructions]

Satish