[petsc-dev] git repo branches housekeeping

Balay, Satish balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 1 10:37:28 CDT 2019

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 19:22, Balay, Satish via petsc-dev <
> petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > ref: https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-dev/2018-April/022748.html
> >
> > I've deleted all development branches that are already merged into
> > maint (v3.11) from https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc
> >

> Would it make sense to make this cleanup in a regular basis? Once a PR is
> merged into master, what's the point of keeping the branch around until
> next release? It makes it heavier to search for a branch in Bitbucket, "git
> remote show origin" produces huge listing.
> I try hard myself of remembering to remove my merged branches, or select
> "close source branch" when I make the PR.

Well I think the prior thought was - if some additional fixes are
needed to that branch after merge to master - its good to keep it
around. But I guess this use-case is rare..

Also - this cleanup can be done perhaps easily on the server [by
someone who can check on it regularly - as doing this when closing PR
cannot be automated] - but folk would have to do this on their clones
too [as cleanup on the server does not automatically do cleanup in
clones].

Satish