[petsc-dev] Subsurface application and Algebraic Multigrid on GPUs

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Sep 19 12:16:36 CDT 2018

Brian, how frequently do you need to update the matrix (thus rebuild the
preconditioner)?

If it is infrequent, we could (in the near term) provide AMG setup on
CPU with solves on GPU.

What is your typical problem size per node to be run on Summit?  What is
your MPI/OpenMP(?) decomposition?

Are these heterogeneous Poisson solves or are the equations to be solved
implicitly more complicated?  Do you have experimental information about
relative convergence rates/grid complexity/strong scalability for your
operator solved using classical AMG (e.g., Hypre) versus smoothed (or
plain) aggregation (ML, GAMG default)?