[petsc-dev] Error running on Titan with GPUs & GNU

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Tue Oct 30 14:18:03 CDT 2018

>     Are there newer versions of the Gnu compiler for this system?

Yes:

/opt/modulefiles
gcc/4.8.1          gcc/4.8.2          gcc/4.9.3          gcc/5.3.0
gcc/6.1.0          gcc/6.2.0          gcc/6.3.0(default) gcc/7.1.0
gcc/7.2.0          gcc/7.3.0

> Are there any other compilers on the system that would likely be less
> buggy? IBM compilers? If this simple code generates a gross error with
> optimization who's to say how many more subtle bugs may be induced in the
> library by the buggy optimizer (there may be none but IMHO probability says
> there will be others).

Let me ask them what they recommend to use with cuda codes.

>     Is there any chance that valgrind runs on this machine; you could run
> the optimized version through it and see what it says.

Valgrind works but tons of output and I could not see anything interesting
in there.

And, this test does work with 1 processor!

I think this is only a problem when GMRES is uses as the eigen estimator in
Cheby. GMRES solvers work and Cheby works with -mg_levels_esteig_ksp_type
cg.