[petsc-dev] I just removed Fortran support from my development build

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Oct 22 11:00:08 CDT 2018

"Balay, Satish" <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> Currently fortran modules are built sequentially [due to dependencies]
>
> Perhaps there is a way to split them up - and introduce some parallelism..

I think we would have to follow a pattern similar to the petsc*types.h
headers where we would have a module that only defines types (needed by
higher level PETSc packages) and a separate module that uses the types
module and provides all the interfaces.  There would still be
dependencies between the types modules, but not between the interfaces
(because the Fortran interface modules don't call other interfaces).

For incremental builds when using ccache, rebuilding the modules can
easily dominate execution time.