[petsc-dev] Fortran interface problem in v.3.10.2

Martin Diehl m.diehl at mpie.de
Sat Oct 20 12:43:45 CDT 2018

From:   "Smith, Barry F." <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov>

 To:   Martin Diehl <m.diehl at mpie.de>
 Cc:   Adrian Croucher <a.croucher at auckland.ac.nz>, For users of the development version of PETSc <petsc-dev at mcs.anl.gov>
 Sent:   10/20/2018 6:22 PM
 Subject:   Re: [petsc-dev] Fortran interface problem in v.3.10.2

> On Oct 20, 2018, at 6:13 AM, Martin Diehl <m.diehl at mpie.de> wrote:
>
> Barry, Adrian,
>
> I looked into this and found the following on type(*) from IBM
>
> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSAT4T_15.1.4/com.ibm.xlf1514.lelinux.doc/language_ref/assumedtypeobj.html
>
> To summarize, type(*) is exactly meant for C interfaces with void*
> dummy arguments (sorry for the Fortran speak, I don't know if dummy
> argument is a term common in C programming).
>
> The last statement is
> "An assumed-type dummy argument cannot correspond to an actual argument
> of a derived type that has type parameters, type-bound procedures, or
> final subroutines."
> which seems to be the reason why the code does not compile.

    I am now concerned that our use of type(*) in PETSc Fortran interfaces is just wrong and I see no good solution except to not have interface definitions for any Fortran stub routines that have void *arguments.
To my understanding, it is fine. type(*) was meant for interfacing *void and that's what you use it for. However, it imposes some restrictions on the actual argument. For that reason, Intel Fortran does not compile the example code, with or without explicit interface. GNU fortran compiles the code without interface, presumably because it cannot detect that the code is not standard conforming.

I propose to further clarify the situation I'll present the problem at the Intel Developer Zone forum.

If you are not sure of the validity please contact rco at mpie.de

In Zweifelsfällen wenden Sie sich bitte an rco at mpie.de