[petsc-dev] Nested XML logging and stages

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Sun May 13 13:06:39 CDT 2018

It took me a while to figure out why my xml -log_view was empty. Nested XML
logging and push/pop user-defined stages simply does not work, the
implementation cannot cope with this usage pattern.

Would it be OK to at ignore push/pop stages if XML is on, and then log
everything in the main stage, to at least get an non-empty xml log file? I
guess this would require a private global flag.

Now that I am on it, could we add a command line option to set the XML
logging threshold? I would like to pass -log_threshold 0 to get everything,
but surprisingly "0" is not a good value, NaNs are generated. So I guess we
need something like PetscMax(threshold,1e-10).

Why PetscLogView_Nested() calls PetscLogNestedEnd() ? While convenient and
quick to implement, it smells like bad API usage.

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 0109
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459