[petsc-dev] Proposed changes to TS API

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri May 11 11:32:20 CDT 2018

"Smith, Barry F." <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

>>>   What do you mean by longer critical path?
>>
>> Create Mass (dF/dUdot) matrix, call MatAssembly, create dF/dU, call
>> MatAssembly, call MatAXPY (involves another MatAssembly unless
>> SAME_NONZERO_PATTERN).  That's a long sequence for what could be one
>> MatAssembly.  Also note that geometric setup for elements is usually
>> done in each element loop.  For simple physics, this is way more
>> expensive than the physics (certainly the case for LibMesh and Deal.II).

>>>  The extra storage needed is related to the size of the mass matrix correct? And the extra data motion is related to the size of the mass matrix correct?
>>
>> Yes, which is the same as the stiffness matrix for finite element methods.
>
>   If the stiffness matrix is the same size (nonzero pattern) as the operator then MatAXPY() is fast axpy(), no communication, no additional MatAssembly().

Yes, but then it uses significant extra memory (relatively harmless for
90% of users, but a hard show-stopper for some).

>>>   Is the extra work coming from a needed call to MatAXPY (to combine the scaled mass matrix with the Jacobian) in Hong's approach? While, in theory, the user can avoid the MatAXPY in the current code if they have custom code that assembles directly the scaled mass matrix and Jacobian? But surely most users would not write such custom code and would themselves keep a copy of the mass matrix (likely constant) and use MatAXPY() to combine the copy of the mass matrix with the Jacobian they compute at each timestep/stage?  Or am I missing something?
>>
>> It's better (and at least as convenient) to write code that assembles
>> into the mass matrix (at the element scale if you want to amortize mesh
>> traversal, but can also be a new traversal without needing extra
>> MatAssembly).  Then instead of MatAXPY(), you call the code that
>> ADD_VALUES the mass part.  I think storing the mass matrix away
>> somewhere is a false economy in almost all cases.
>>
>> There is also the issue that matrix-free preconditioning is much more
>> confusing with the new proposed scheme.  As it is now, the matrix needed
>> by the solver is specified and the user can choose how to approximate
>> it.  If only the pieces are specified, then a PCShell will need to
>> understand the result of a MatAXPY with shell matrices.
>
>    MATSHELL already transparently handles MatAXPY(). A PCSHELL needs to handle the composite
> matrix free operator regardless of whether it involves two parts or one part so I am not sure why you think PCSHELL is harder in this case.

People writing PCShell almost never stuff their entire problem context
into MatShell and interrogate the composition.  There isn't even an
accessor for the X after MatAXPY_Shell.  It's hard to write a PCShell
that is so generic.

Also, MatAXPY_Shell is leaky as hell because changing X changes the
result of the AXPY, *unlike* other formats.  Avoiding that would require
a copy.

>>>   Is the Function approach only theoretically much more efficient than Hong's approach when the mass matrix is nontrivial? That is the mass matrix has a nonzero structure similar to the Jacobian?
>>
>> The extra MatAssembly is called even for MatAXPY with
>> SUBSET_NONZERO_PATTERN.
>
>     Does it have to be? Code needs to be checked, probably that can be avoided.

It should be avoidable, but may need a custom implementation rather than
MatAXPY_Basic.