[petsc-dev] Is ./configure --help broken?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri Mar 16 20:33:37 CDT 2018

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:

>> Cray and others have admitted to doing this for as long as I've used
>> PETSc.  It's possible to discourage it without setting land mines.
>

> I guess my attitude is that most people using PETSc attempt to work
> within the structures setup to use it. Cray people seem not to give a
> fuck and just change stuff willy nilly until it works for them. Thats
> fine. We can't stop them, but I am not motivated to enable them
> either.

I just don't see the value of RDict.  It's read interface right now is
grotesque (requires a lot of code and knowing a lot of almost magic
names, thus it gets copy-pasted).  I'd mainly prefer a nicer read
interface, but if we redo the read interface, I'd rather it come from a
human readable source.  And less duplication is better.