[petsc-dev] PetscObjectViewFromOptions() pull request 1005 1006

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 28 10:51:34 CDT 2018

   I am having trouble tracking the following issue (and people's opinion on it) in the pull requests so I am starting an email thread to discuss the issue.

   Currently - (this is my understanding)

1)   PetscObjectViewFromOptions() is very slow
2)   Many calls are made to this routine directly from solvers (such as KSP)

  because of this there is a configure option to turn off checking of PetscObjectViewFromOptions

In pull request 1005 Matt moved the PetscObjectViewFromOptions() routines out of KSPSolve() and put them in KSPSetFromOptions().

In pull request 1006 Lisandro proposes moving the configure option to turn off checking of  a PetscObjectViewFromOptions() to a runtime option.

Here is my opinion, Matt is correct and all the PetscObjectViewFromOptions() calls should be moved out of the solver code. There should be no option either configure or runtime to turn off PetscObjectViewFromOptions() (I put it in as a stop gap for some users who needed it).

Comments, suggestions?