[petsc-dev] building on Titan

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jun 22 13:27:38 CDT 2018

Well these external tools are decoupled from petsc configure [they
don't need mpi etc] - so they find their own suitable compilers [which
has a better chance of success].

Sure this isn't fail safe.

For sowing we provide
  --download-sowing-cc=<prog>
       C compiler for sowing configure
  --download-sowing-cxx=<prog>
       CXX compiler for sowing configure
  --download-sowing-cpp=<prog>
       CPP for sowing configure
  --download-sowing-cxxcpp=<prog>
       CXX CPP for sowing configure
  --download-sowing-configure-options=<options>

We could add that for all such packages. But then - if its not
convinent to install with --download-package - why not manually
install it [per packages instructions for this machine/compiler?]

--download-cmake --download-make etc are convinence options for
systems that dont' have suitable versions preinstalled anyway. No point
is petsc installing this on all machines [esp LCFs]

Satish