[petsc-dev] Bad scaling of GAMG in FieldSplit

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Fri Jul 27 08:02:52 CDT 2018

> Do you mean the coarse grids? GAMG reduces active processors (and
> repartitions the coarse grids if you ask it to) like telescope.
>

> No I was talking about the fine grid. If I do this (telescope then GAMG),

What does Telescope do on the fine grids? Is this a structured grid and
Telescope does geometric MG?

> MatMultTranspose and MatMultAdd perform OK, but the smoother (MatSOR)
> takes more and more time as one would have guessed… it seems that there is
> no easy way to make this strong scale.

Strong scaling will always stop at some point. The question is where. I'm
not seeing any data on where it is stopping (I have not dug into the data
files).

My first suspicion here was that GAMG stops coarsening and there are many
coarse grids (ie, crazy behavior). I have seen this occasionally.

Also, did you check the iteration count in GAMG. I'm not sure if this is a
convergence problem or a complexity problem.