[petsc-dev] Remove legacy tests?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Thu Jul 5 17:53:12 CDT 2018

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> On Thu, 5 Jul 2018, Jed Brown wrote:
>
>> When can we delete the legacy test system?  Are we currently using it
>> anywhere?
>
> [Don't know exactly which parts we would delete] - but the new targets
> cover ex*[f,f90] type examples - and not anything else.

Which targets are you referring to?  I don't see any build targets in
the source directories.  There are a few run targets that I don't
understand.  We could delete lib/petsc/conf/test and any top-level
legacy targets.

> So all other examples that don't fit this string format still use the
> old targets.

Where are those?  They evidently aren't part of the nightly tests, thus
need to be updated.

> Also they are still useful to users [to create their own makefiles] -
> as we don't have an equivalent simiple replacement yet..

I don't mind makefiles sitting in source directories.  They're basically
just includes and a list of source files right now, and we can remove
the lists of source files.