[petsc-dev] Our pull request work flow is terrible and horrible

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 12 17:24:17 CST 2018

> On Jan 12, 2018, at 4:32 PM, Patrick Sanan <patrick.sanan at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Jan 11, 2018, at 11:40 AM, Patrick Sanan <patrick.sanan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > One idea is to impose a stricter guideline that things on the bitbucket PR page are things that everyone is actively trying to merge. That way, maintainers can just look at the bottom of the list to see what's lagging, instead of having to to work up the list and try to remember which of the PRs are WIP or proposals or experiments or even abandoned ideas.
>
>   Very valid point. Perhaps we could have some way to convert the "proposals" to Issues so they are not lost but no longer clog the pull requests. Or the originator of the pull request (i.e. Jed) could kindly remove the pull request by converting it to some other archival form. Or at least label the pull request as Archival as opposed to active.
>
> Any reason to not just create/select an issue, assign it to someone, and include the relevant branch name in the issue description?

   Hmm, now there are two things to keep track of for each pull request (the pull request web page and the issue web page) so you've doubled the pain just so you can use the bitbucket issue assigner to know who is assigned to it.

    Put you have a very valid point. We do need to assign each pull request to someone. We could simply leave at the first comment on the pull request the assigned. For example @barrysmith you are assigned this pull request. Then that person turns on watching for the request.

  Barry