[petsc-dev] [Mike McQuaid] Re: [Homebrew/homebrew-core] PETSc: import from homebrew-science (#23598)

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Feb 25 21:59:45 CST 2018

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018, Smith, Barry F. wrote:

> > PETSc --download-* is a package manager, albeit very crufty (though it
> > gets the job done).  Basically all package managers function by
> > installing with a private DESTDIR, bundling up the result, then
> > unpacking into the target.
>
>    That's not how PETSc's works. It tells the each package the final prefix and each package installs into that location directly.

This is primarily because - we need these packages in the
final/install location before configure can go to the next step of
detecting/using this package for the next stage of dependency. So
DESTDIR is not useful for us [and its not clear to me if most
externalpackages we use support DESTDIR (or not) anyway]

Satish