[petsc-dev] petsc/master: unable to link in C++ with last night PETSC_WITH_EXTERNAL_LIB variable changes

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Feb 11 08:11:00 CST 2018

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 9:56 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>
>> Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > If we were in charge of all dependencies, that would be true. However,
>> > packages can dump in things that need to link with. if we could
>> > require that all dependencies be specified through our system, then we
>> > could topologically sort and put out all the link libs. This is
>> > exactly what we do for configure tests already.
>>
>> What's the problem with doing that now?  A node in the graph can
>> correspond to more than one -l flag.
>>

> We could still repeat things that are common between nodes, but we
> could do it anyway.

There shouldn't be anything in common between nodes (if your node
doesn't own it, you should specify it as an edge), but if someone
specified it that way, duplication would be an acceptably permissive
result.

If any nodes have pkg-config files, then PETSc.pc should identify them
using Requires.private instead of Libs.private.