[petsc-dev] why does veccuda.py exist?

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 2 17:42:35 CST 2018

   I'm am totally confused by

1) the existence of veccuda.py

2) the fact that veccuda.py depends on some packages but is not a package and is not in packages/

Why can't the VECCUDA type coexist with the VECCUSP or VECVIENNACL types? If it can't coexist, can the code be reworked to allow it to coexist?

Can we get rid of the veccuda.py and the PETSC_HAVE_VECCUDA flag and just always have the VECCUDA type if cuda is available?

I'm willing to do the refactorization and simplification but I need to know there is not some secret reason for these complications.

  Thanks