[petsc-dev] AOCreateBasic vs AOCreateMapping

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 27 12:03:09 CDT 2018

   From the manual page

   Notes:
    the arrays myapp and mypetsc need NOT contain the all the integers 0 to napp-1, that is there CAN be "holes"  in the indices.
       Use AOCreateBasic() or AOCreateBasicIS() if they do not have holes for better performance.

so they are two different things. Mapping is more general but could be much slower than basic (when basic works).

    Barry