[petsc-dev] Fwd: Re: [petsc-users] PETSc doesn't allow use of multithreaded MKL with MUMPS + fblaslapack?

Scott Kruger kruger at txcorp.com
Mon Aug 13 10:49:50 CDT 2018

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [petsc-users] PETSc doesn't allow use of multithreaded MKL
with MUMPS + fblaslapack?
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2018 14:20:42 -0500
From: Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov>
To: Appel, Thibaut <t.appel17 at imperial.ac.uk>
CC: petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>

Hm - its just a default - so you can always change the default value
to a more suitable one for your usage. [i.e use --with-blaslapack-lib
option instead of --with-blaslapack-dir option]

For regular petsc build - we think that sequential MKL is the best match.

For a build with C/Pardiso - I believe its best to use threaded MKL.

Wrt with-openmp=1 - if threaded MKL is preferable - I guess we could
change the default. But a default does not prevent one from using a
preferred blas [whatever that is]

Wrt fblaslapack - yes its not multi-threaded. But I believe openblas is
multi-threaded [so you could use --download-openblas as alternative]

The usual issue is - one cannot use threaded MKL [or any threaded
library] as a black box. They would have to always be aware of how
many mpi procs, and openmp threads are being used - and tweak these
parameters constantly. The default for OpenMPI is to use the whole
machine - i.e it expects 1 mpi task per node. If one users more mpi
tasks per node - and does not reduce threads per node - they get bad
performance. Hence we avoid using threaded MKL as a default..

Satish