[petsc-dev] Install location for MPIUNI mpi.h

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 25 14:47:11 CDT 2018

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018, Smith, Barry F. wrote:

> >>  Jed,
> >>
> >>   So you propose in petscsys.h ?
> >>
> >> #if defined(PETSC_HAVE_MPIUNI)
> >> #include <petsc/mpiuni/mpi.h>
> >> #else
> >> #include <mpi.h>
> >> #endif
> >>
> >>  I don't have a problem with this.
> >
> > Yes, and same installation layout as today.
>
>    Ok, this is far better than copying the mpiuni mpi.h file to a public place (Matt's suggestion) and is a bit better than requiring the extra -I flag (Satish's suggestion)

All approaches have drawbacks. This approach breaks user code. I guess thats easy to work arround [and fix these
examples awell]

$ git grep '<mpi\.h>' |grep examples
src/dm/examples/tests/ex42.c:#include <mpi.h>
src/tao/leastsquares/examples/tutorials/chwirut2.c:#include <mpi.h>

> >> I notice that the Fortran petscsys.h is scattered full of weird MPIUni specific stuff like
> >>
> >> #if defined (PETSC_HAVE_MPIUNI)
> >> #include "mpiunifdef.h"
> >> #endif
> >>
> >> #if defined(PETSC_HAVE_MPIUNI)
> >> #define MPI_Comm PetscFortranInt
> >> #define MPI_Group PetscFortranInt
> >> #define PetscMPIInt PetscFortranInt
> >> #else
> >> #define MPI_Comm integer
> >> #define MPI_Group integer
> >> #define PetscMPIInt integer
> >> #endif

I might have diverged from mpi standard to prevent '-i8' affecting petsc+mpiuni code.

Satish