[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] PetscPrintf

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Apr 15 12:45:02 CDT 2018

   To me the difficulty is knowing how large an array to allocate (in both PetscVSNPrintf() and PetscVFPrintfDefault()). The macro PETSC_MAX_LENGTH_FORMAT() is used in PetscVSNPrintf() but it has nothing to do with reality.  One could walk through the formats (and their string values) to get a much better estimate for total length of buffer needed.

Maybe a routine something like

   va_list Argp;
    va_start(Argp,format);
    ierr = PetscDetermineOutputLength(format,Argp,size_t *neededlength);CHKERRQ(ierr);
    PetscMalloc(neededlength,&buffer);

But I am not convinced we can't just have an upper bound on the possible format length (so long as we can error out properly if the user requests a something that doesn't fit).

    Barry

Note: there are horrible other buffer size code fragments such as

    next->size = -1;
    while ((PetscInt)fullLength >= next->size) {
      next->size = fullLength+1;

      ierr = PetscMalloc1(next->size, &next->string);CHKERRQ(ierr);
      va_start(Argp,format);
      ierr = PetscMemzero(next->string,next->size);CHKERRQ(ierr);
      ierr = PetscVSNPrintf(next->string,next->size,format, &fullLength,Argp);CHKERRQ(ierr);
      va_end(Argp);
    }

that seems to try (very badly) to allocate larger and larger buffers (without freeing the previous?) until it has enough room for the result ? Any fix should resolve this as well.

   Maybe two versions of PetscVSNPrintf() one that takes a buffer (and respects it) and one that allocates a buffer large enough.