[petsc-dev] futurize

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 15:59:59 CDT 2018

On 2 April 2018 at 23:08, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
> Would it be too disruptive to run futurize "stage 1" before the 3.9
> release?

Would this introduce any dependency outside plain Python 2 stdlib?
Sorry, I'm not an expert in these futurize/modernize/six/whatever
stuff, I got used to write Py 2/3 compatible code from scratch without
these tools.

> The source would remain Python-2 only, but would be
> "modernized" so that the next stage (supporting Python-3) would be less
> disruptive.  The goal here would be to make it easier to port
> configuration changes from 'maint' to 'master' after the release, under
> the assumption that we'll want to support Python-3 before a 3.10
> release.

Well, while I'm a bit worried about dependencies, I think your goal
makes total sense and I would support it.

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 0109
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459