[petsc-dev] (no subject)

Richard Tran Mills rtmills at anl.gov
Thu Sep 21 23:06:39 CDT 2017

Thanks for sharing this, Barry. I haven't had time to read their paper, but
it looks worth a read.

Hong, since many machine-learning or data-mining problems can be cast as
linear algebra problems (several examples involving eigenproblems come to
mind), I'm guessing that there must be several people using PETSc (with
SLEPc, likely) in this this area, but I don't think I've come across any
published examples. What have others seen?

Most of the machine learning and data-mining papers I read seem employ
sequential algorithms or, at most, algorithms targeted at on-node
parallelism only. With available data sets getting as large and easily
available as they are, I'm surprised that there isn't more focus on doing
things with distributed parallelism. One of my cited papers is on a
distributed parallel k-means implementation I worked on some years ago: we
didn't do anything especially clever with it, but today it is still one of
the *only* parallel clustering publications I've seen.

I'd love to 1) hear about what other machine-learning or data-mining
applications using PETSc that others have come across and 2) hear about
applications in this area where people aren't using PETSc but it looks like
they should!

Cheers,
Richard