[petsc-dev] TS Terminology

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 20 11:57:38 CDT 2017

> On Oct 20, 2017, at 11:53 AM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

>>   The name absolutely has to be changed. But to what? And the manual page is WRONG! You cannot justify that no matter how much you want to keep the current confusing/inaccurate name.
>
> Are you also adamant that SNESComputeFunction must be changed?  After
> all, it isn't returning the output of the function that was passed to
> SNESSetFunction.  If SNESComputeFunction is okay, but TSComputeIFunction
> is not, what is the rationale for that?

  In TS it is DAMN!!!! confusing. (Since you and Emil have lived with it from day one I know it is not confusing to you; but it is confusing to everyone else).

  In SNES it is a very minor confusion.

  We absolutely need to fix things that are DAMN!!!! confusing. Fixing things that are minor confusing is much less important. So it would be fine to change SNESComputeFunction() but I have no reason to be adamant about it.