[petsc-dev] Discussion about time-dependent optimization moved from PR

Stefano Zampini stefano.zampini at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 03:03:28 CDT 2017

>> Point-form functionals (i.e., objective functions that are not integrated
>> over time, but just sampled at a given time) drive the initialization of
>> the adjoint variables, and they are not supported explicitly in Hong's
>> code. S: TSSetObjective()
>>

> Should these just be handled by a particular quadrature in the cost
> integral, and by this I mean functionals are specified by quadratures.

Yes, they are evaluated separately in the forward run, see

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/c2e9112e7fdfd89985f9ffc4d68b0d46cf7cad52/src/ts/interface/tspdeconstrainedutils.c?at=stefano_zampini%2Ffeature-continuousadjoint&fileviewer=file-view-default#tspdeconstrainedutils.c-420
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/c2e9112e7fdfd89985f9ffc4d68b0d46cf7cad52/src/ts/interface/tspdeconstrainedutils.c?at=stefano_zampini%2Ffeature-continuousadjoint&fileviewer=file-view-default#tspdeconstrainedutils.c-486
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/c2e9112e7fdfd89985f9ffc4d68b0d46cf7cad52/src/ts/interface/tspdeconstrainedutils.c?at=stefano_zampini%2Ffeature-continuousadjoint&fileviewer=file-view-default#tspdeconstrainedutils.c-539
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/c2e9112e7fdfd89985f9ffc4d68b0d46cf7cad52/src/ts/interface/tspdeconstrainedutils.c?at=stefano_zampini%2Ffeature-continuousadjoint&fileviewer=file-view-default#tspdeconstrainedutils.c-549

but their gradient wrt the state variables (for first-order adjoints)
dictates the initialization of the adjoint variables. More complicated
formulas for semi-explicit index-1 DAEs and second order adjoints (needed
by the Hessian matvec)

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/c2e9112e7fdfd89985f9ffc4d68b0d46cf7cad52/src/ts/interface/tsadjointts.c?at=stefano_zampini%2Ffeature-continuousadjoint&fileviewer=file-view-default#tsadjointts.c-700
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/c2e9112e7fdfd89985f9ffc4d68b0d46cf7cad52/src/ts/interface/tsadjointts.c?at=stefano_zampini%2Ffeature-continuousadjoint&fileviewer=file-view-default#tsadjointts.c-376

> For people like me who do not have all the terminology down, is the
> Tangent Linear Model (TLM) just the forward sensitivities?

Yes. See the man page for TLMTS for the Tangent linear model ODE.
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/c2e9112e7fdfd89985f9ffc4d68b0d46cf7cad52/src/ts/interface/tstlmts.c?at=stefano_zampini%2Ffeature-continuousadjoint&fileviewer=file-view-default#tstlmts.c-403