[petsc-dev] Discussion about time-dependent optimization moved from PR

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 10:50:36 CDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Stefano Zampini <stefano.zampini at gmail.com
> wrote:

> If anyone wants to know what this discussion is about, see
> https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/pull-requests/766/
> support-for-pde-constrained-optimization
>
> I'll try to summarize the interfaces here. Hong's code API is labeled with
> H, mine with S.
>
> Both methods support cost functions (i.e. objectives functions given by a
> time integral): H TSSetCostIntegrand(), S TSSetObjective()
> With TSSetCostIntegrand you set a single function that computes numcost
> cost integral: TSSetObjective instead append to a list.
> The prototype for the function evaluation is similar, expect that I also
> carry over a vector which stores the current values of the parameters.

As for parameter descriptions, I think these, just like the state
variables, should be described by a DM. This allows us a uniform interface
for parallel update, output and visualization, and formation of subproblems
to update the parameters themselves.

> Point-form functionals (i.e., objective functions that are not integrated
> over time, but just sampled at a given time) drive the initialization of
> the adjoint variables, and they are not supported explicitly in Hong's
> code. S: TSSetObjective()

Should these just be handled by a particular quadrature in the cost
integral, and by this I mean functionals are specified by quadratures.

> Both methods need the Jacobian of the DAE wrt the parameters: H
> TSAdjointSetRHSJacobian(), S TSSetGradientDAE()

Here I understand Stefano to be using DAE in the following sense: Suppose
my continuous problem is a Partial Differential-Algebraic Equation (PDAE).
Then after discretizing in space, which I would call Method of Lines, I am
left with a Differential-Algebraic Equation (DAE) in time.

> Initial condition dependence on the parameters is implicitly computed in
> Hong's code (limited to linear dependence on all the variables); instead I
> have TSSetGradientIC which is a general way to express initial condition
> dependence by an implicit function.
>
> I'm not very familiar with the TSForward interface, Hong can elaborate
> more. But my gut feeling is that the public API for cost functions is
> a duplicate of the one used by TSAdjoint. TLMTS (which is my TS that solves
> the tangent linear model), reuses the callbacks set by TSSetGradientDAE and
> TSSetGradientIC. Hong, do you also need to integrate some quadrature
> variable in your TSForward code?

For people like me who do not have all the terminology down, is the Tangent
Linear Model (TLM) just the forward sensitivities?