[petsc-dev] Discussion about time-dependent optimization moved from PR

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 10:14:11 CDT 2017

Someone had to do it.

I will not try to frame the entire discussion. Barry has already thrown
down the "show me your interface" gauntlet. However, I want to emphasize
one point that may have been lost in the prior discussion. Every example I
have looked at so far is focused on the reduced space formulation of the
optimization problem. However, I am interested in the full space
formulation so that I can do multigrid on the entire optimal control
problem. This is not a new idea, in particular Borzi does this in SIAM
Review in 2009. I think we have a tremendous opportunity here since other
codes cannot do this, it has the potential (I think) for much better
globalization, and perhaps can be faster.

So, when we come up with interface proposals, I think we should keep a full
space solution method in mind.