[petsc-dev] DMPlex "chart" term

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 03:58:40 CDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Patrick Sanan <patrick.sanan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Another terminology question to help with the docs.
>
> What's the origin of the term "chart" in DMPlex? I'm only previously
> familiar with the term in the context of manifolds (where chart =
> homeomorphism from an open set in the manifold to an open set in R^n).

That is what it is supposed to be. A chart is coordinates on a patch of the
manifold. We intend the same thing here in that you can
locally refer to points with a given name, but they may have a different
name on another chart (process). The names are matched up using the PetscSF.

> In terms of the use in DMPlex, is there anything wrong with thinking of
> "chart" as a shorter way to say "interval of integers, closed on the left
> and open on the right, e.g.  [pStart,pEnd)"?

No, since we depend on continuity of point names almost everywhere.