[petsc-dev] broken nightlybuilds (next vs next-tmp)

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sat Nov 11 15:26:35 CST 2017

"Smith, Barry F." <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

>    There is no reason to waste time protesting the attempt to change
>    to the new model. The attempt will happen as soon as we have the
>    new test harness fully working. So help out or get out of the way.

I can't help convert tests if I'm busy arguing against a change that I
think will be disastrous to the quality of 'master'.

Let's table the discussion of removing 'next' until we have a test
system capable of keeping 'next' clean.  It provides a ton of safety at
the moment.  If an automated testing system is capable of keeping
'master' clean, it can also be used to keep 'next' clean.  So if it
works, 'next' will be clean all the time and we can justify removing it
as needless overhead.  If it's still catching problems, then the
automated testing system clearly isn't sufficient.