[petsc-dev] broken nightlybuilds (next vs next-tmp)

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Nov 11 13:04:39 CST 2017

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017, Jed Brown wrote:

> > If you are running 'make alltests' on your laptop - then you don't need to test on es - before merge to maint.
>
> alltests takes hours and doesn't catch weird configurations -- you need
> different PETSC_ARCH for that.  It is normal to at least compile and run
> a couple local tests.

its better than taking days of broken next and having the next model
stay broken. BTW - it takes less than an hour on my laptop.
http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/nightlylogs/archive/2017/11/11/next.html
And plenty on nightlbuild machines are running in less than an hour
[some under 30min]

There seems to be a binary switch here for you and Matt.  Its either
local test find all issues or next test find all issues.

My claim here is - local test should find some issues [major ones that
might break all builds] - and let next find the remaing
[machine/compiler/configuration] specific issues.

Satish