[petsc-dev] broken nightlybuilds (next vs next-tmp)

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Nov 11 12:49:26 CST 2017

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017, Jed Brown wrote:

> Merging is synchronous.  If I do
>
>   git checkout master
>   git pull
>   git merge jed/risky-business
>   make alltests  # works on my machine

Note:  this is my recommendation for the *currentK next model.

If you are running 'make alltests' on your laptop - then you don't need to test on es - before merge to maint.

My suggestion on using es is for Matt - who says he can't run tests on his laptop.

> Satish and Barry, is this really the workflow you're advocating?

What Barry is advocating is throwing away next. Perhaps he'll explain
what his thoughts are..  [I've expressed my interpration]

In the new model [since most folks are not doing any local testing] -
the above merge and (multiple) tests would be done with some automated
test suite we would cook up - similar to what we are doing currently
with next

Note: If it can't do the merge - it will throw back the isssue back to
the author.  If the tests are successful - it [or one of us] would do
the merge to master.

satish