[petsc-dev] CMake: make, install, find_package ?

Franck Houssen franck.houssen at inria.fr
Sun Nov 5 08:45:21 CST 2017

----- Mail original -----

I have no preference !

> Or are you having trouble with
> https://github.com/jedbrown/cmake-modules/blob/master/FindPETSc.cmake ?
> [and not with PETSc build?]

At first, I was trying to understand why find_package(petsc) was not working.
So then, I looked at the way the make/install was done: that lead me to look at the CMakeLists.txt and test it.

> Satish
>
> On Sun, 5 Nov 2017, Satish Balay wrote:
>
> > PETSc has 3 modes of building libraries
> >
> > 1. all-legacy: using legacy makefiles [which uses vanila make in recursive
> > mode]
> > 2. all-cmake: using cmake to generate gnumakefiles
> > 3. all-gnumake: using gnumakefiles
> >
> > Now all-gnumake build is the default/primary. with it working in all
> > cases - there is no real reason for all-cmake build.
> >
> > [we still use all-legacy for documentation generation and examples, and a
> > few other cases]
> >
> > So all-cmake is not tested and unsupported. But the code is still there and
> > is not removed [or updated]
> >
> > However - I just tired a simple 'all-cmake' build - and that worked.
> > [attaching make.log]
> >
> > What did not work for you? Please send relavent logs.

Didn't find mpi.mod.
find_package(MPI) was missing: I just added it.
Still can push if you want to have a look (?).