[petsc-dev] composite vs. shell

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sat Nov 4 20:52:07 CDT 2017

PCSetUp_Composite propagates the outer matrices to the inner PCs.

  while (next) {
    ierr = PCSetDM(next->pc,dm);CHKERRQ(ierr);
    ierr = PCSetOperators(next->pc,pc->mat,pc->pmat);CHKERRQ(ierr);
    next = next->next;
  }

You can get the desired behavior by calling PCSetUp before
PCCompositeGetPC.

Perhaps the code should be changed to only propagate the outer matrices
if they haven't been set yet.  But propagating matrices like this is a
poor abstraction in general because it conflates configuration with the
supply of problem information.  We don't want the FormJacobian in a time
integrator to need to reach into the SNES -> KSP -> PCComposite to set a
different operator; it doesn't even have enough information to do that.