[petsc-dev] Recover from TS failure

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Nov 1 18:21:34 CDT 2017

Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> writes:

>> You're in PetscTraceBackErrorHandler which is way too late.  Back up.
>> What caused the error?
>>

> SNES problem. It can be linear solver error,  max its, or line search
> failure. See attached.
>
> I see that I want to unset TS->errorifstepfailed. I see how to do that with
> SNES, Will look again for TS,

Dude, back up.  You need to find out why the TS implementation is
reporting ts->reason < 0.  If it's a SNES failure and it repeats when
the step is shortened, you need to fix that.

You can avoid an error by calling TSSetErrorIfStepFails(), but all the
logic you're talking about is already in TS and jury-rigging it on the
outside is counterproductive.  So get back to the root of the problem
and debug why SNES is failing.